A. S. Dileep Kumar, who is popularly known as A. R. Rahman ( Allah Rakha Rahman), is an Indian music composer, record producer, singer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, and philanthropist. He has made India proud by winning two Oscars for his music in “Slumdog Millionaire.” In 2010, the Indian government awarded him the “Padma Bhushan”, the nation’s third-highest civilian award.
A. R. Rahman Biography & Wiki
A. R. Rahman’s nicknames are Isai Puyal((English meaning Music Storm) and The Mozart of Madras. He was born on 6 January 1967 in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India. Hence, his current age is 54 years.A. R. Rahman’s Zodiac is Capricorn.
Height, Weight & Body Measurements
|Height in centimeters||165 cm|
|Height in meters||1.65 m|
|Height in feet inches||5’ 5”|
|Weight in Kilograms||70 kg|
|Weight in Pounds||154 lbs|
A. R. Rahman Family Members
A. R. Rahman’s father’s name is Late R. K. Shekhar, who was a film-score composer, and his mother’s name is Late Kareema Beegum ( earlier Kasturi Shekhar). He has three sisters, A. R. Reihana, Fathima Rafiq, and Ishrath Qadri.
Girls, affairs, spouse name
A. R. Rahman married Saira Banu. The couple is blessed with two daughters named, Khatija, Rahima and a son, Ameen, who shares his birthday (6 January) with his father.
Education and School, College
A. R. Rahman did his schooling from Padma Seshadri Bal Bhavan, Chennai. After that, he went to Madras Christian College. So late, A. R. Rahman obtained a scholarship from Trinity College of Music, Oxford University, United Kingdom.
Favourites Things and Like & Dislike
|Favourite Musicians||Ilayaraja, Mohammad Rafi, And Michael Jackson|
|Favourite Raaga||Sindhu Bhairavi|
|Favourite Director||Mani Ratnam|
|Favourite Hobbies||Playing the Keyboard|
|Favourite Foods||Palak Paneer, And Rasam-Rice|
|Favourite Destination||Chennai, Mumbai, And London|
A. R. Rahman’s Career
A. R. Rahman began his career with a band called “Roots” (1984-88). Along with being a part of this band, he also played the keyboard for 10-12 Kannada films. Later, he joined a rock band called “Nemesis Avenue“. Also, in this band, Rahman used to work as a producer-arranger and performed for a concert “Jive live“. After that, A. R. Rahman’s film career began in 1992, when he started Panchathan Record Inn.
He initially composed scores for documentaries, jingles for advertisements and Indian Television channels, and other projects. In 1987 A. R. Rahman, then still known as Dileep, got his first opportunity to compose jingles for the new range of watches being launched by Allwyn. In 1992, he was approached by film director Mani Ratnam to compose the score and soundtrack for Ratnam’s film “Roja” (1992). During the filming, its Cinematographer Santosh Sivan signed A. R. Rahman up for the Malayalam movie “Yoddha” (1992).
A. R. Rahman has consistently produced commercially successful soundtracks such as “Gentleman” (1993), “Kadhalan” (1994), “Bombay” (1995), “Rangeela” (1995), “Indian” (1996), “Kadhal Desam” (1996), “Minsara Kanavu” (1997), etc.
In 1999, A. R. Rahman partnered with choreographers Shobana and Prabhu Deva and a Tamil cinema dancing troupe to perform with Michael Jackson in Munich, Germany, at his “Michael Jackson and Friends” concert. In 2002, he composed the music for his maiden stage production, “Bombay Dreams“, commissioned by musical theatre composer Andrew Lloyd Webber. He also performed at the White House State dinner arranged by US President Barack Obama during the official visit of Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on 24 November 2009.
Award And Recognitions
Because of A. R. Rahman’s brilliant performance in the Indian film and music industry, he receives several awards, including six National Film Awards and two Academy Awards.
- Out of six “National Film Awards“, five were in the category of Best Music Direction, for the films “Roja” (1992), “Minsara Kanavu” (1996), “Lagaan” (2001), “Kannathil Muthamittal” (2002), “Kaatru Veliyidai” (2017) and rested “National Film Award” in the category of “Best Background Score” for the film “Mom” (2017).
- In 2009, A. R. Rahman received two Academy Awards for the film “Slumdog Millionaire” in the category of “Best Original Score” and “Best Original Song” (Jai Ho).
- Furthermore, in 2010, Rahman received “Padma Bhushan” from the Government of India.
Salary and Net Worth
A. R. Rahman has carved a successful path for himself over the years and earns ₹5-8 crore per film approximately. The estimated net worth of A. R. Rahman is $24 Million.
A. R. Rahman Contact Address
|House address||Kodambakkam, Chennai|
|Phone Number||He didn’t like to share his Phone number publicly.|
|Email Id||Not Available|
A fatwa or fringe was issued against A. R. Rahman for composing music for the biopic on Prophet Muhammad, called “Muhammad: The Messenger of God“.
Facts about A. R. Rahman
- A. R. Rahman had a difficult childhood as his father died when he was nine years old, leaving him as the sole earning source of his family. Initially, he used to play his father’s keyboard to earn money.
- He was introduced to Qadiri tariqa when his younger sister was seriously ill in 1984. His mother was a practicing Hindu. At the age of 23, he converted to Islam with other family members in 1989, changing his name to Allah Rakha Rahman (A. R. Rahman).
- By 2004, Rahman was among the world’s all-time top-selling recording artists. As till then, he sold almost 200 million cassettes and 150 million recordings of his soundtracks.
- In 2004 he was appointed as the global ambassador of the Stop TB Partnership, a WHO project.
- A. R. Rahman has supported Save the Children India and worked with Yusuf Islam on “Indian Ocean”, a song featuring a-ha keyboard player Magne Furuholmen and Travis drummer Neil Primrose.
- In 2009, Rahman was awarded the doctorate in Media Sciences by Anna University.
- He also founded Sunshine Orchestra with a vision to introduce India’s first symphony orchestra where economically and socially deprived children get free music education from the KM Music Conservatory.
- In 2017, he announced a one-heart foundation that would support people from the music industry.
- On 20 January 2017, he, along with members of the “Nadigar Sangam”, observed a one-day fast to support the people of Tamil Nadu protesting against the ban on Jallikattu ( a bull-taming event).
- In 2019, Rahman performed a Sufi Benefit Concert at the annual New York gala of Pratham, one of the largest non-governmental organizations in India, which focuses on the provision of quality education to India’s underprivileged children.
- In January 2018, he also became the first-ever brand ambassador of Sikkim.
- Unlike other musicians, A. R. Rahman likes composing music at night.
- Though he loves to compose music of all genders, but romantic is his favorite.
- His Oscar Award-winning song “Jai Ho” was initially composed for the Bollywood film “Yuvvraaj” (2008), but it later became a part of “Slumdog Millionaire” (2008).
A. R. Rahman Photos